Thursday, May 28, 2009

Black-Eyed Pea


My first visit to Black-Eyed Pea in Richardson was one to remember. Have you ever walked into a restaurant and as they seat you, you were marched by a sever delivering food to a table. That is exactly what happened to me tonight. I caught one glimpse of a Chicken Fried Steak smothered in country gravy, hanging off the plate, and there was really no need to even look at a menu. I did look at the menu, but ordered the CFS anyway.

The cover of the menu says, "rediscover the lost art of cooking from scratch delivered to you". You had me at cooking from scratch. The menu runs the table with classics like the CFS, fried chicken, slow roasted pot roast, meat loaf and a huge selection of veggies and sides. There are too many sides to name here, but a couple that stand out are black-eyed peas, red beans and rice and squash casserole.

As soon as I placed my order I was promptly brought both fresh rolls and cornbread with whipped butter. Dining by myself I was full when my meal arrived, the basket was of course empty. The Chicken Fried Steak was delicious and was accompanied by fresh mashed potatoes and black-eyed peas. The peas tasted like spoonfuls of fresh baked ham. I licked the plate clean and moved on to dessert. If the restaurant makes everything from scratch, dessert is a given.

I enjoyed a warm blackberry cobbler. It was warm and gooey and very sweet. I am glad it was kind of small, because I really did not have room for it.

I am looking forward to returning to Black-Eyed Pea for lunch sometime soon. They have smaller portions for lunch starting at only $5.99. The dinners are only about $8. This is value priced delicious food at its best. The $ to calorie ratio is not good, but it is so easy to lose count when you cover everything in gravy. I give this home cooked fare 9 stars out of 10 based on selection, service and value. I wish they has something like this in the west.
Black Eyed Pea on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment