Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Chaucer's Sushi





This placed was recommended to me by a co-worker and so I thought I would give it a try. I can tell you that this was well worth my time and I enjoyed some of the finest most creative flavors I have had in quite some time. So many Sushi Bars have a cookie cutter menu with the same old rolls and nothing new that grabs your attentions and makes you want to be adventurous. That is not the case at Chaucer's.

One glance at the sushi menu and I knew I was in trouble. There were so many rolls I had never heard of that I asked the server for a few moments so I could just read through the selection of 30 plus rolls. I finally decided on a bowl of seaweed salad and two rolls.

The first roll I tried was called the Red Dragon roll. It was deep fried snow crab, spicy salmon, asparagus, cucumber, avocado and topped with habanero smelt roe and a creamy wasabi sauce. The habanero smelt roe was unbelievable. The most amazing thing I have had this month and the wasabi cream sauce was equally amazing. This roll is a home run.

The second roll I tried was a bit on the lighter side to finish my meal. It was called the Chaucer's roll. It included fresh water eel, deep fried shrimp, cream cheese, avocado, asparagus, and crab meat wrapped in fresh cucumber and soybean paper topped with ponzu sauce. I have to say that this was very lite and really did not stimulate my taste buds like the first roll. Everything is cooked in this roll and it would be a great roll for those of you who don't typically go for sushi.

I cant wait to go back to Chaucer's and try some of the other rolls that include ingredients such as lobster, jalapenos, crawfish tails and maybe get some of the Habenero smelt roe to go. I would eat anything dipped in that stuff.

Overall the food and servers were wonderful. My only complaint was the time it took to get my food. I was dining alone, so maybe the time was moving slow, but it took 45 minutes for my meal and I was the only one at the sushi bar. They had two guys working who covered the whole restaurant when they clearly needed 4 or more. If you have the time, I would recommend this dining experience to anyone. I give Chaucer's Sushi 9.5 stars out of ten.

Chaucer's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment